Thursday, May 15, 2008

April 14, 2008

Dear Irvine Family:

Lots and lots of pictures...but I need the camera cord so I can do it free at a member's house or something like that. Don't want to pay some bucks if I can do it for free and if it's convenient. Probably you'll get them sometime in the next six weeks, if the camera cord is ever going to make it here to me in time before I ship out. Amish bread? I got it a while back, but it'd be cool to get some more (but not absolutely needed- I'm fine). So yes, I told Pres. Goodrich I wanted to move. Too long here in this area, with the same darn less actives that won't meet with the bishop and the same type of people- dang Mexican Catholics that don't want to change. I just don't like the bishop, but that's me. I'm honest, it's really tiring and it's really tough to keep one motivated in an area for six months or more.

This week was rough. Not many people were home and so it was just a rough week. Considering Elder Lynn and I were about dead from doing a lot of service and teaching people in a language that is not our own. It's really tiring...I didn't realize it. Especially when you're the senior comp and have to direct everything to make sure we get in and out on time.

Our investigators are doing pretty well. We had a strong visit with the Jaimes and called them to repentance by going to church, and it went over really well. They know they need to go to church, and they did come yesterday. Progressing, yet again! But, our following appointment with them was a bit sad. We get there, and find out that the husband was talking to relatives over in Mexico because his uncle just passed away. So we went to visit some other semi-dropped investigators, the Murcias with our member friends the Cejas. A bit awkward getting them to another home to help us teach, we made it short and simple and then went back to the Jaimes. We shared a Plan of Salvation lesson, how appropriate. They really felt better, just the confirmation that there's something better after this life helped them out. It was peaceful, and really tranquil. The Spirit is striving to live with them, they just have to go to church! And they will!

Selena Coronado is so smart. She's a daughter of a local member and never got baptized (she's 9 or 10 years old) so we're teaching her. We went over the Fall once, and when we went over it again, we began with, 'so what do you remember about Adam and Eve?' She spat it back at us in her own words, much simpler than we explained it the time before. I was like...wow? I wish I was that smart when I was her age.

One of our investigators called us and dropped us. Alex Gonzalez...I had a feeling he was just hearing us to please his wife Claudia (a member from Guatemala). Well, that made it easy.

Johnny Martinez is a head case. I can't figure this kid out. 23 years old, no job, wants to be baptized...but yet I don't get the impression he really understands us. But, our member bore a strong witness of his testimony to bring in the Spirit. But then, as usual with members, he blabs on and the Spirit fled. Johnny will get there, but we'll have to be patient.

The recent converts are doing well, the Cardenas. We missed them the last half of the week...it's great visiting them twice a week to feel the Spirit and get excited for the next few days. It's like a 'Spirit check' whenever we go there. I love it! But, they're doing well.

We had the opportunity on Saturday to go to a 'quinceanera' at the church. Our bishop is...an interesting character. The Coronado family wanted to hold a quinceanera in the church building, so the bishop approved it (I wasn't a fan of it- it's a Catholic tradition in a Mormon building!). It was ridiculous! We go over there and it started late (Latino standard time) so we ended up just helping serve the guests and stuff (we had no appointments that night...and no one is ever home Saturday night willing to listen to us). About 100 guests, and utter chaos! Ran out of rice and waited for rice...just crazy. Good food though. So we get the food cleared and all then the ceremony started. Some really weird ceremonial dances, La Muneca (the doll) signifying the girl's last doll now that she's entering womanhood, and a Lost Slipper dance. The girls all had matching pink dresses and shoes...must've been ridiculously expensive! And, they had like 60 bottles of Sunkist and 7-Up soda...and huge pots of carne asada, beans, and rice. I couldn't believe it...but it was cool. I just didn't like how it was in the church building. The First Presidency even said to not hold quinceaneras in church buildings, but the bishop felt he could so he did. I differ, but that's just me and the First Presidency (and my pal Hno. Umana).

We had exchanges most of Saturday, me with the district leader Elder Austin (who I met at BYU actually- how weird). We've been out the same time but he's been in English work for almost his entire mission so far. Man, I'm really lucky. We had a good time, contacting people, knocking some doors and finding referrals. But, a typical Saturday means no real lessons. But, we did find a former investigator Jose Vidal. He's been on and off with missionaries because he goes between here and Mexico every few months. We taught him a first lesson, but it wasn't really good because he's like yeah I know it's right but my family doesn't want to join me so I'm waiting for them...not conducive for the Spirit to come in. But, he knows it's all true, he just needs to get baptized and go to church. He felt bad knowing he's been investigating for over 2 years and hasn't gotten into the font. He knows he needs to make a choice, he's just putting it off for reasons of his diehard Catholic wife. He'll understand...someday. And, he came to church so it was cool.

So that's my week. Tiring, frustrating, but successful. We worked and put our time in, it's just that we're having a rough time motivation-wise. I hope the Lord sends me to a good area, Spanish or English, so I can get to work. All is well!

I love you all. Stay safe!

Love,
Spencer

No comments: