Wednesday, February 13, 2008

January 28, 2008

Dear the Irvines:

Yes, I'm staying for at least another six weeks, and I'm going to 'kill' my comp Elder Hansen. So that'll make it at least 2 transfers more. Hopefully (or else it'd be whitewashing).

Maybe I should head my e-mails "dear Mom"- if that makes it sound more personal *wink wink* probably the only one that reads it. Just kidding. But yeah, we heard about Pres. Hinckley last night via local member in the English ward, Sister Flick. It's too bad, but I know that it was a welcome event due to his tough separation from his wife over the last few years. He really was a prophet of God. I have no worries, because the Church is run by God. But now the big question: Who do I say is the prophet of the Church now to my investigators? Um...we have apostles and they're prophets? No worries. It's all good. About Dad posting my e-mails online. My comp Elder Neira read them! Not good at all! He found them and told me about it...oh well. Just to let you know that my comps can read them...gosh so much for privacy Dad!

So we postponed the baptismal date for the Jaimes so they can get a testimony of the Book of Mormon, which will help them from easily getting offended and dropping off the face of the earth. We got a taste of that when we were late for their baptismal interview. Easily offended and proud Mexicans. But, great people. We went by with their fellowshippers, the Ceja's, and the Jaimes fed us pozole, which is a great Mexican dish. At least it wasn't spicy, because I would've died right there. When they say spicy, it is really spicy. And, our golden investigators, the Cardenas, still come to church, and still read the Book of Mormon. At least 5 weeks straight by now! The 'wife' Yadhira said that the prophecies are coming true in the Book of Mormon (2nd Nephi) and she has a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon, as does her soon-to-be husband Alberto. We're going to set a marriage date, and could have 3 marriages in the ward on the same day! That'd be sweet! So they're doing great! I just love that family...they're so ready to be baptized. They want to take the Sacrament, but they know from Catholic tradition they can't since they're unmarried. We talked about repentance, and then Yadhira asked us, 'are we living in sin?', to which I said, 'yes'. 'But,' I added, 'you're doing your best to get married and obey God's commandments, and He sees that.' They really want to partake of the Sacrament and get baptized. I absolutely love it! It's getting harder to teach our 10 year old investigator Lesley, because she all of a sudden just goes super distracted by everything and is easily bored. Doesn't help my comp Hansen and I sometimes quotes old English in teaching, but it's not our fault really. We're used to teaching older people, but we should simplify it so everyone can understand. Just something to improve on.

I'm so tired everyday from driving all around the place and teaching people. Now I feel like my old senior comps- it's really draining.

We had a mission tour this past Friday, and I loved it. Elder Craig Christensen of the Seventy came to visit us. So we went up to Lancaster (an hour away) and we saw the infamous snow that had rained down on the mountains up there. I was zooming too, cuz everyone goes fast. I did hit 90 mph...but immediately slowed down when I realized it. Hey, it's the desert! I saw my first Joshua tree, and as my district comp said, 'if God allowed Dr. Seuss to make a creation, he'd pick the Joshua tree', and that is very true. We got there, and studied the scriptures a bit then lined up in the gym to greet Elder and Sister Christensen. Really great people. Elder Christensen taught us about the Holy Ghost, and its several roles according to the scriptures. So I took notes, but he asked us to also write down our impressions. When I looked over them recently, I was really surprised to see that the Spirit led me to write things I needed to do to have him with me as a missionary. Things I need to do to improve. It was long, but it was really great. We heard from Sister Goodrich, and she always cracks a joke. She had prayed to know what to speak on before the tour, and so she was going to speak about the Holy Ghost. The day before, the mission tour for 3 other zones in the mission, she was going to speak. When she heard Elder Christensen give his interactional talk/discussion on the Holy Ghost, she was like, 'well you'd have to be an idiot to add to that one', so she just bore her testimony about the Spirit. But this time, she shared stories from Wilford Woodruff's life and how he had the Spirit to guide him. When he left a town to baptize hundreds in central England as guided by the Spirit. A really great talk. Then Pres. Goodrich spoke on obedience. How Saul, then David, fell due to disobedience. And especially when one time he nearly got in trouble at a local park in Missouri with the Cub Scouts. There was a cliff with water below at about 50 feet, and some people that were drunk jumped off. Signs said 'don't jump, fine of x amount of money', and it was tempting. His Cub Scouts egged him on from below. He was going to jump when the Park Ranger came out of the woods, fined the other people and then Pres. Goodrich told his Cub Scouts, 'See? That's why you're obedient!' I really love President Goodrich. It was a good reminder for us to continue to follow mission rules, so we can double convert baptisms. Sister Christensen read scriptures to us, and applied them to how Peter became a great apostle because he was chastised several times by the Lord. She then said, "You are like Peter", because we are always being chastised or corrected by the Lord's servant to improve (in a loving way of course). It really hit me. With this name badge, I represent Christ. I follow his rules, he blesses me. He corrects me through others, lovingly. It was a great message to me. Elder Christensen referred to Hebrews and how we should follow our leaders because they care for us, because they want us to improve. It was a great mission tour, and I learned a lot from it. Some missionaries were asked to give their testimonies, so they did (without previous warning of course). Afterwards, we went to Panda Express, then headed back home to Newhall. My comp Hansen fell asleep while I drove, and the glare was really bad. I was listening to some of the conference talks Dad sent me, and I nearly fell asleep. Nothing but L. Tom Perry's voice, glare, random rainfall to occupy my attention. But, we arrived safe and sound. I fell asleep for half an hour because it was exhausting. Wake up at 6:30, then out at 8 am to drive to a meeting, sit there until 1:30 then eat lunch then back by 3. Really tiring day. Spiritually exhausting, as Elder Christensen said.

Sunday was a up and down day. I had a good study and got ready for church, but when I got to PEC I just felt a burden. A feeling that I wasn't doing anything right, like I wasn't doing any good here. It was a sudden and penetrating feeling. It was the first time I've ever thought that way, and so I was sitting in PEC feeling a bit down. I thought it was because Elder Hansen never really lets me contact as much as he does, but when it boiled down to it, it was because I had not prayed for the Spirit with a sincere heart. It was like a hole my my heart, and it was really scary. And it doesn't help that my other district comp Humpherys is a bit trunky at times, so he makes me feel trunky a bit. I quickly realized my faults, and prayed to God to comfort me in my weakness, and he did. It illustrated me the importance of sincere prayer, not routine prayer as I get into doing sometimes, and that God will always answer our prayers. After that, it was just great. It didn't help all the meetings went a bit over, since the bishop spoke for half an hour in sacrament meeting and bored all of us to death (well, except the Cardenas because they love church). But, it was a good day. I love the work here, and I'm happy the Lord saw it fit to keep me here (even though if I got moved it wouldn't have made any logical sense- Hansen has 3 weeks here I have 12 so...). I just love this work!

Oh yeah, we're getting a new elder today, Elder Suarez. He is the most apostate elder up to this point in time, and President saw it fit to send him to our district to fix him up. It is going to be very interesting to say the least.

We just about survived a torrential rainstorm. It snowed up north in Castaic on the way to Bakersfield, so we got to see snow-capped mountains. The rain kept coming and coming, and it seemed a bit crazy. It never seemed to stop all week, but we kept working. Soaked, but worked hard. Weird California. My comp was freaking out because it was raining so much and he's been here for almost 2 years and never saw this before.

I love you all. I wish you well, and especially for your wonderful support! All is well in Zion!

Love,
Elder Irvine

No comments: