Tuesday, February 24, 2009

October 6, 2008

Dear Dad,

General Conference was great! I missed priesthood session because my comp had a virus and took a nap instead. It could've been food poisoning or something. But, it was a great conference. Our recent convert Susan went, as did the less active but now active Lunas and our other less active from Argentina. I felt edified and uplifted by their talks and I just loved it! Elder Neil Andersen's talk was fabulous. Pres. Uchtdorf was great and full of hope. Literally. Pres. Monson was spectacular in his delivery, as usual. Pres. Eyring was full of enthusiasm, love, and encouragement. Elder Oaks laid the hammer down, especially when he said that some Saints violate the covenants they're making in the same place they're making these covenants. Ouch. Elder Wirthlin was full of love and of joy, and I guess he'll be passing beyond the veil soon. Laugh, seek to endure, understand the law of compensation, and put your faith and trust in the Lord. "Come what may and love it." What better messages for us than these! Honestly, I hope the Saints in SoCal will take this advice to heart, but knowing the complacity of this stake over here, it'll be a long, drawn-out process.

Numbers-wise our week wasn't the greatest, but we used our time effectively and did the Lord's work. We are finding new investigators here and there, and the Lord is providing for us. There is no way that these people could drop into our laps. He gave us another blessing in that we're both staying until November 16th. I was so elated and relaxed to know that my efforts will continue here until then. What'll really stink is next transfer- Christmas AND Thanksgiving! If I get moved, I'll miss them both in a ward I have grown to love dearly. Our members were so glad to hear us say, 'by the way, we're staying.' Sister Cindy Luna said, "Oh, okay. Wait! (it dawned on her) You're both staying? Yes!" On a side note, President saw the lack of work ethic in some of my elders (I didn't really notice until transfers) and he's whitewashing our proud and richer wards in our stake. I hope the sister missionaries that they put in are up to the task. That's going to be weird. Sister missionaries in my district for the second time in my mission I'm serving for the Lord. Weird. Today I'll be running around the Valley moving in the sisters and picking up another elder because he's training (and greenies come in on Wednesdays). Crazy busy transfer p-day! About the tickets, technically we're supposed to pay it together, but I didn't ask Woods to pay because I should've seen the sign. The next time, I will definitely ask him. He says to Mom thanks for the generous gift.

I have learned so much about myself. I didn't realize how aggravated I get sometimes when things don't go my way. I never realized how stress can really affect mood, attitude, work ethic, etc. This General Conference helped me realize those weaknesses, as well as Elder Woods' support and encouragement, and I have seen a slight change. Elder Woods brought up one day how judgmental and pessimistic I am at times. So, I took it in, and the next day I studied the topic, 'to judge others'. A very humbling, but touching, learning experience. With the same judgment we use to judge, we will be condemned by it. As one of the authorities said, who is our Judge? Doesn't he do the same for us, to just turn the other cheek and to ignore our own faults? Am I perfect enough to judge? A resounding no. I felt humbled and chastised sufficiently, and I am so grateful my companion pointed it out and encouraged me to do better. I have learned so much as I studied Preach My Gospel of how to teach those without a Christian background. I've been diligently studying this section most of last week using the scriptures that are in PMG (sounds like an automatic pistol or something). I have not only learned from great teachers like Ammon, and Aaron, and Alma, and Amulek, but I have strengthened my witness of the Book of Mormon. I love the scripture quoting Aaron teaching Lamoni's father, 'O king, as thou livest there is a God' or something along those lines. I learned how the Spirit can help us not only teach, but to expound the scriptures. To simplify them, as Pres. Taylor said, so even a child can understand the doctrine. I learned, that we must teach by the Spirit, we must love our people as did these great missionaries, we must pray to have success and pray to love these people as well as their salvation. I learned that if we boldly declare repentance, people will change if it is their desire. I learned that God fulfills His promises to all. I learned a ton, needless to say. I read 2nd Nephi chapter two this week, and it was edifying to my own testimony. There is no other way whereby man shall be saved, save it be through the Holy Messiah. Without opposition in all things, there can be no joy, nor sorrow. General Conference also highlighted the things I learned this past week. We are to act, not to be acted upon. I see now that by studiously searching the scriptures my understanding will be opened by the Spirit and the Lord will guide me in whatever I do. I love the Lord and His word.

A brief summary of this past week. My exchange with another elder was not the most effective use of my time, to say the least. It 'sufficeth' (as the scriptures say) to say that it wasn't the greatest exchange I've ever had. But, I learned what NOT to do as a planner. Our Wednesday was busy, as usual, as was our Thursday. Appointment to appointment. We finally got to start on updating our Area book stuff since our ward list changes a ton, and that took much longer than expected. But, we got the majority done this week. We had a quick weekly planning session due to time constraints (or lack of time) and our appointments went pretty darn well. We helped Betsy set up her place for Halloween. The Lunas got us edible spiders and stuff for Halloween. We had two sweet appointments with them. Thursday we had a shaky lesson because we didn't plan the details as well, but it was a tender mercy of the Lord. We went from agency to sabbath day observance. I felt alone testifying since we didn't plan very well (my bad), but the Spirit was there to help me. He supported me as I related how Sunday is a holy day for me, and how I feel recharged for the week to come. They told us they set up an appointment with the bishop to set up a timetable to go to the temple. President Goodrich told me unless there's a huge problem, it's either 1-3 or 3-6 months for most less actives. Yeah! They're on a roll! Oh yeah, that night I get home and President calls me...he's coming to my district meeting! Oh my gosh! I only heard of him going to district meetings, let alone my own meeting! But, I gave my trainer fair warning and he was already prepared. Nothing to worry.

Friday was nervous...but it went well. Elder Sara did a great and very meticulous training on lesson plans. He had us plan with a companion we're not used to and put it into effect. One named Orcutt has a tendency to say 'kind of' a lot. Woods looked at me funny during his role-play (Orcutt and Tayler teaching Pres. and Sis. Goodrich) and began to count something. At the end, I asked him what he counted. At least twenty times Orcutt used 'kind of', even in describing doctrine. It was pretty funny. We had a sweet appointment with Mike, who loved 3rd Nephi 18 about the sacrament and prayer. He soaked it up. He's still committed to be baptized, we'll have to wait on it though. We had a great dinner with a family from Eritrea (next to Ethiopia) and they fed us a ton of food. I could barely move afterwards. We gave a blessing on the house and had to get going. Our next appointment fell through so we waited outside a little, to relax for a little because we were on the go most of the day. It was cool, foggy, just reminded me of home. I look up and see airplanes flying into Bob Hope airport and just see their lights illuminating the fog. It was beautiful, just a foggy night. The sky was purple-ish, orange-ish...it was magnificent to see the beauty of God's creations. How could people not believe in God? I now understand why Pres. Uchtdorf loves airplanes, they're magnificent and beautiful in flight.

Post-priesthood session on Saturday (which I spent in the apartment since Woods was sick...I ended up talking to my converts via phone for a bit so it was great) we ate dinner and watched "The Mountain of the Lord" movie. I never realized how simple it is in the explanation of the temple and yet very powerful. I testified about temples to the best of my ability, and I was waiting for Woods to say something but he didn't. Wow...they're excited. Bro. Junior Luna even went to priesthood session when we didn't go! He liked it a lot! Wow...tender mercies.

God upholds the faithful priesthood holder, as Pres. Eyring said. I completely agree. I am imperfect, but I do my best. God will remember you, as He remembered Rachel, as Elder Condie said a few conferences ago. I have a witness, a strong testimony, of the truthfulness of this Gospel. As Elder Godoy said yesterday, it's not a great occurrence that changed me. It was gradual. Step by step. But I do not doubt that God exists, that Jesus is the Christ, that God has called Thomas S. Monson as our living prophet today. The Book of Mormon is the word of God that brings all happiness in their lives. I know I am blessed daily by His hand. I am a part of an eternal family that loves me and I love them. God is great! God is merciful! God is my Father that loves me.

I hope you're prepared for this economic crisis. My prayers are with you.

Dad, I love you. Thank you for your selfless service and love. You are an example of charity to me. You live the Gospel. You are my hero, and I will never forget you. Thank you for honoring your covenants and being a faithful and willing priesthood holder. All those times you taught me and encouraged me, just know that they weren't wasted. I love you and miss you dearly. Tell Mom I love her so much and I can't wait to talk to her at Christmastime. Tell the same to Grandma, that she's a great person in my eyes. Tell Steven to be a good boy as he is, and that he's making me proud out here. Tell Kristy that she's doing great out there and that nothing can stop her! She's quite amazing!

May you all stay safe, and I'll talk to you soon! I love you all!

With much love,
Spencer

No comments: